From: Michael Armbrust [via Apache Spark Developers List]
[mailto:ml-node+s1001551n19590...@n3.nabble.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2016 3:04 AM
To: Mendelson, Assaf
Subject: Re: Watermarking in Structured Streaming to drop late data

And the JIRA: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-18124

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 4:56 PM, Tathagata Das <[hidden
email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=19590&i=0>> wrote:
Hey all,

We are planning implement watermarking in Structured Streaming that would allow
us handle late, out-of-order data better. Specially, when we are aggregating
over windows on event-time, we currently can end up keeping unbounded amount
data as state. We want to define watermarks on the event time in order mark and
drop data that are "too late" and accordingly age out old aggregates that will
not be updated any more.

To enable the user to specify details like lateness threshold, we are
considering adding a new method to Dataset. We would like to get more feedback
on this API. Here is the design doc

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1z-Pazs5v4rA31azvmYhu4I5xwqaNQl6ZLIS03xhkfCQ/

Please comment on the design and proposed APIs.

Thank you very much!

TD