Just to comment on this, I'm generally against removing these types of things
unless they create a substantial burden on project contributors. It doesn't
sound like Python 2.6 and Java 7 do that yet -- Scala 2.10 might, but then of
course we need to wait for 2.12 to be out and stable.

In general, this type of stuff only hurts users, and doesn't have a huge impact
on Spark contributors' productivity (sure, it's a bit unpleasant, but that's
life). If we break compatibility this way too quickly, we fragment the user
community, and then either people have a crappy experience with Spark because
their corporate IT doesn't yet have an environment that can run the latest
version, or worse, they create more maintenance burden for us because they ask
for more patches to be backported to old Spark versions (1.6.x, 2.0.x, etc).
Python in particular is pretty fundamental to many Linux distros.

In the future, rather than just looking at when some software came out, it may
be good to have some criteria for when to drop support for something. For
example, if there are really nice libraries in Python 2.7 or Java 8 that we're
missing out on, that may be a good reason. The maintenance burden for multiple
Scala versions is definitely painful but I also think we should always support
the latest two Scala releases.

Matei