In addition to usual binary artifacts, this is the first release where
we have installable packages for Python [1] and R [2] that are part of
the release.  I'm including instructions to test the R package below.
Holden / other Python developers can chime in if there are special
instructions to test the pip package.

To test the R source package you can follow the following commands.
1. Download the SparkR source package from
http://people.apache.org/~pwendell/spark-releases/spark-2.1.0-rc5-bin/SparkR_2.1.0.tar.gz
2. Install the source package with R CMD INSTALL SparkR_2.1.0.tar.gz
3. As the SparkR package doesn't contain Spark JARs (this is due to
package size limits from CRAN), we'll need to run [3]
export
SPARKR_RELEASE_DOWNLOAD_URL="http://people.apache.org/~pwendell/spark-releases/spark-2.1.0-rc5-bin/spark-2.1.0-bin-hadoop2.6.tgz";
4. Launch R. You can now use include SparkR with `library(SparkR)` and
test it with your applications.
5. Note that the first time a SparkSession is created the binary
artifacts will the downloaded.

Thanks
Shivaram

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-18267
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-18590
[3] Note that this isn't required once 2.1.0 has been released as
SparkR can automatically resolve and download releases.