I understand the actual dataframe is different, but the underlying partitions
are not (hence the importance of mark's response). The code you suggested would
not work as allDF and x would have different schema's (x is the original and
allDF becomes the grouped).
I can do something like this:
  var totalTime: Long = 0
  var allDF: DataFrame = null
  for {
    x <- dataframes
  } {
    val timeLen = time {
      val grouped = x.groupBy("cat1", "cat2").agg(sum($"valToAdd").alias("v"))
      allDF = if (allDF == null) grouped else {
        allDF.union(grouped).groupBy("cat1", "cat2").agg(sum($"v").alias("v"))
      }
      val grouped2 = allDF.groupBy("cat1").agg(sum($"v"), count($"cat2"))
      grouped2.show()
    }
    totalTime += timeLen
    println(s"Took $timeLen miliseconds")
  }
  println(s"Overall time was $totalTime miliseconds")
}

and this indeed improves performance (I actually had a couple more tries) but:

1.       This still gives crappy performance (for 167 slices I get a throughput
which is 10 times lower than batch after doing some tuning including caching
and coalescing)

2.       This works because the aggregation here is sum and we don't forget.
For more general aggregations we would have to join them together (can't do it
for count distinct for example) and we will need to "forget" frames when moving
out of the window (we can subtract a sum but not a max).

The best solution I found so far (performance wise) was to write a custom UDAF
which does the window internally. This was still 8 times lower throughput than
batch and required a lot of coding and is not a general solution.

I am looking for an approach to improve the performance even more (preferably
to either be on par with batch or a relatively low factor which remains
constant when the number of slices rise) and including the option to "forget"
frames.

Assaf.