Hi,

If I remember correctly, the TIMESTAMP type had UTC-normalized local time
semantics even before Spark 2, so I can understand that Spark considers it
to be the "established" behavior that must not be broken. Unfortunately,
this behavior does not provide interoperability with other SQL engines of
the Hadoop stack.

Let me summarize the findings of this e-mail thread so far:

   - Timezone-agnostic TIMESTAMP semantics would be beneficial for
   interoperability and SQL compliance.
   - Spark can not make a breaking change. For backward-compatibility with
   existing data, timestamp semantics should be user-configurable on a
   per-table level.

Before going into the specifics of a possible solution, do we all agree on
these points?

Thanks,

Zoltan