From: 蒋星博 <jiangxb1...@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, January 5, 2018 10:57:53 PM
To: Marcelo Vanzin
Cc: dev
Subject: Re: Kubernetes backend and docker images

Agree it should be nice to have this simplification, and users can still create
their custom images by copy/modifying the default one.
Thanks for bring this out Marcelo!

<van...@cloudera.com<mailto:van...@cloudera.com>>:
Hey all, especially those working on the k8s stuff.

Currently we have 3 docker images that need to be built and provided
by the user when starting a Spark app: driver, executor, and init
container.

When the initial review went by, I asked why do we need 3, and I was
told that's because they have different entry points. That never
really convinced me, but well, everybody wanted to get things in to
get the ball rolling.

But I still think that's not the best way to go. I did some pretty
simple hacking and got things to work with a single image:

https://github.com/vanzin/spark/commit/k8s-img

Is there a reason why that approach would not work? You could still
create separate images for driver and executor if wanted, but there's
no reason I can see why we should need 3 images for the simple case.

Note that the code there can be cleaned up still, and I don't love the
idea of using env variables to propagate arguments to the container,
but that works for now.

--
Marcelo