I don't have a comprehensive knowledge of the project hydrogen PRs, however
I've perused them, and they make substantial modifications to Spark's core
DAG scheduler code.

What I'm wondering is: how high is the confidence level that the
"traditional" code paths are still stable. Put another way, is it even
possible to "turn off" or "opt out" of this experimental feature? This
analogy isn't perfect, but for example the k8s back-end is a major body of
code, but it has a very small impact on any *core* code paths, and so if
you opt out of it, it is well understood that you aren't running any
experimental code.

Looking at the project hydrogen code, I'm less sure the same is true.
However, maybe there is a clear way to show how it is true.