Yes, that is why we have these annotations in the code and the
corresponding labels appearing in the API documentation:
https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/common/tags/src/main/java/org/apache/spark/annotation/InterfaceStability.java

As long as it is properly annotated, we can change or even eliminate an API
method before the next major release. And frankly, we shouldn't be
contemplating bringing in the DS v2 API (and, I'd argue, *any* new API)
without such an annotation. There is just too much risk of not getting
everything right before we see the results of the new API being more widely
used, and too much cost in maintaining until the next major release
something that we come to regret for us to create new API in a fully frozen
state.