It's not splitting hairs, Erik. It's actually very close to something that
I think deserves some discussion (perhaps on a separate thread.) What I've
been thinking about also concerns API "friendliness" or style. The original
RDD API was very intentionally modeled on the Scala parallel collections
API. That made it quite friendly for some Scala programmers, but not as
much so for users of the other language APIs when they eventually came
about. Similarly, the Dataframe API drew a lot from pandas and R, so it is
relatively friendly for those used to those abstractions. Of course, the
Spark SQL API is modeled closely on HiveQL and standard SQL. The new
barrier scheduling draws inspiration from MPI. With all of these models and
sources of inspiration, as well as multiple language targets, there isn't
really a strong sense of coherence across Spark -- I mean, even though one
of the key advantages of Spark is the ability to do within a single
framework things that would otherwise require multiple frameworks, actually
doing that is requiring more than one programming style or multiple design
abstractions more than what is strictly necessary even when writing Spark
code in just a single language.

For me, that raises questions over whether we want to start designing,
implementing and supporting APIs that are designed to be more consistent,
friendly and idiomatic to particular languages and abstractions -- e.g. an
API covering all of Spark that is designed to look and feel as much like
"normal" code for a Python programmer, another that looks and feels more
like "normal" Java code, another for Scala, etc. That's a lot more work and
support burden than the current approach where sometimes it feels like you
are writing "normal" code for your prefered programming environment, and
sometimes it feels like you are trying to interface with something foreign,
but underneath it hopefully isn't too hard for those writing the
implementation code below the APIs, and it is not too hard to maintain
multiple language bindings that are each fairly lightweight.

It's a cost-benefit judgement, of course, whether APIs that are heavier (in
terms of implementing and maintaining) and friendlier (for end users) are
worth doing, and maybe some of these "friendlier" APIs can be done outside
of Spark itself (imo, Frameless is doing a very nice job for the parts of
Spark that it is currently covering --
https://github.com/typelevel/frameless); but what we have currently is a
bit too ad hoc and fragmentary for my taste.