Hi all,

I run in the following situation with Spark Structure Streaming (SS) using
Kafka.

In a project that I work on, there is already a secured Kafka setup where
ops can issue an SSL certificate per "group.id", which should be predefined
(or hopefully its prefix to be predefined).

On the other hand, Spark SS fixes the group.id to

val uniqueGroupId = s"
spark-kafka-source-${UUID.randomUUID}-${metadataPath.hashCode}"

see, i.e.,

https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/v2.4.0/external/kafka-0-10-sql/src/main/scala/org/apache/spark/sql/kafka010/KafkaSourceProvider.scala#L124

I guess Spark developers had a good reason to fix it, but is it possible to
make configurable the prefix of the above uniqueGroupId
("spark-kafka-source")? If so, I could prepare a PR on it.

The rational is that we do not want all spark-jobs to use the same
certificate on group-ids of the form (spark-kafka-source-*).

Best regards,
Anastasios Zouzias