The metastore interactions in Spark are currently based on APIs that
are in the Hive exec jar; so that makes it not possible to have Spark
work with Hadoop 3 until the exec jar is upgraded.

It could be possible to re-implement those interactions based solely
on the metastore client Hive publishes; but that would be a lot of
work IIRC.

I can't comment on how many people use Hive serde tables (although I
do know they use it, just not how extensively), but that's not the
only reason why Spark currently requires the hive-exec jar.

--
Marcelo