+1 to that. HIVE-16391 by itself means we're giving up things like
Hadoop 3, and we're also putting the burden on the Hive folks to fix a
problem that we created.

The current PR is basically a Spark-side fix for that bug. It does
mean also upgrading Hive (which gives us Hadoop 3, yay!), but I think
it's really the right path to take here.

--
Marcelo