Thanks for bumping this, Matt. I think we can have the discussion here to
clarify exactly what we’re committing to and then have a vote thread once
we’re agreed.

Getting back to the DSv2 discussion, I think we have a good handle on what
would be added:

   - Plugin system for catalogs
   - TableCatalog interface (I’ll start a vote thread for this SPIP shortly)
   - TableCatalog implementation backed by SessionCatalog that can load v2
   tables
   - Resolution rule to load v2 tables using the new catalog
   - CTAS logical and physical plan nodes
   - Conversions from SQL parsed logical plans to v2 logical plans

Initially, this will always use the v2 catalog backed by SessionCatalog to
avoid dependence on the multi-catalog work. All of those are already
implemented and working, so I think it is reasonable that we can get them
in.

Then we can consider a few stretch goals:

   - Get in as much DDL as we can. I think create and drop table should be
   easy.
   - Multi-catalog identifier parsing and multi-catalog support

If we get those last two in, it would be great. We can make the call closer
to release time. Does anyone want to change this set of work?

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer