I would argue that its confusing enough to a user for options from
DataFrameWriter to be silently dropped when instantiating the data source
to consider this a bug.  They asked for partitioning to occur, and we are
doing nothing (not even telling them we can't).  I was certainly surprised
by this behavior.  Do you have a different proposal about how this should
be handled?