Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the pointers

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 8:13 AM Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com> wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> This is expected behavior for DSv2 in 2.4. A separate reader is configured
> for each operation because the configuration will change. A count, for
> example, doesn't need to project any columns, but a count distinct will.
> Similarly, if your read has different filters we need to apply those to a
> separate reader for each scan.

Ah, I presumed that the interaction was slightly different, there was a
single reader configured and (e.g.) pruneSchema was called repeatedly to
change the desired output schema. I guess for 2.4 it's best for me to
cache/memoize the metadata for paths/files to keep them from being
repeatedly calculated.

> The newer API that we are releasing in Spark 3.0 addresses the concern
> that each reader is independent by using Catalog and Table interfaces. In
> the new version, Spark will load a table by name from a persistent catalog
> (loaded once) and use the table to create a reader for each operation. That
> way, you can load common metadata in the table, cache the table, and pass
> its info to readers as they are created.

That's good to know, I'll search around JIRA for docs describing that
functionality.

Thanks again,
Andrew