Thanks for writing this up.

Usually when people talk about push-based shuffle, they are motivating it
primarily to reduce the latency of short queries, by pipelining the map phase,
shuffle phase, and the reduce phase (which this design isn't going to address).
It's interesting you are targeting throughput by optimizing for random reads
instead.

My main questions are ...

1. This is designing for HDDs. But SSD prices have gone lower than HDDs this
year, so most new data center storage will be using SSDs from now on. Are we
introducing a lot of complexity to address a problem that only exists with
legacy that will be phased out soon?

2. Is there a simpler way to address this? E.g. you can simply merge map
outputs for each node locally, without involving any type of push. It seems to
me you'd address the same issues you have, with the same limitations (of memory
buffer limiting the number of concurrent streams you can write to).