This plan for evolving the TRIM function to be more standards compliant
sounds much better to me than the original change to just switch the order.
It pushes users in the right direction and cleans up our tech debt without
silently breaking existing workloads. It means that programs won't return
different results when run on Spark 2.x and Spark 3.x.

One caveat:

> If we keep this situation in 3.0.0 release (a major release), it means
>>> Apache Spark will be forever

I think this ship has already sailed. There is nothing special about 3.0
here. If the API is in a released version of Spark, than the mistake is
already made.

Major releases are an opportunity to break APIs when we *have to*. We
always strive to avoid breaking APIs even if they have not been in an X.0
release.