I don’t think Spark ever claims to be 100% Hive compatible.

I just found some relevant documentation
<https://docs.databricks.com/spark/latest/spark-sql/compatibility/hive.html#apache-hive-compatibility>
on this, where Databricks claims that “Apache Spark SQL in Databricks is
designed to be compatible with the Apache Hive, including metastore
connectivity, SerDes, and UDFs.”

There is a strong expectation that Spark is compatible with Hive, and the
Spark community has made the claim. That isn’t a claim of 100%
compatibility, but no one suggested that there was 100% compatibility.

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer