+1  @Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com> I do not have this issue:

[info] SparkSQLEnvSuite:
19:45:15.430 WARN org.apache.hadoop.util.NativeCodeLoader: Unable to
load native-hadoop library for your platform... using builtin-java
classes where applicable
19:45:56.366 WARN org.apache.hadoop.hive.conf.HiveConf: HiveConf of
name hive.stats.jdbc.timeout does not exist
19:45:56.367 WARN org.apache.hadoop.hive.conf.HiveConf: HiveConf of
name hive.stats.retries.wait does not exist
19:45:59.395 WARN org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.ObjectStore:
Version information not found in metastore.
hive.metastore.schema.verification is not enabled so recording the
schema version 2.3.0
19:45:59.395 WARN org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.ObjectStore:
setMetaStoreSchemaVersion called but recording version is disabled:
version = 2.3.0, comment = Set by MetaStore root@10.169.161.219
19:45:59.411 WARN org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.ObjectStore: Failed
to get database default, returning NoSuchObjectException
[info] - SPARK-29604 external listeners should be initialized with
Spark classloader (45 seconds, 249 milliseconds)
19:46:00.067 WARN org.apache.spark.sql.hive.thriftserver.SparkSQLEnvSuite:

===== POSSIBLE THREAD LEAK IN SUITE
o.a.s.sql.hive.thriftserver.SparkSQLEnvSuite, thread names:
rpc-boss-3-1, derby.rawStoreDaemon,
com.google.common.base.internal.Finalizer, Keep-Alive-Timer, Timer-3,
BoneCP-keep-alive-scheduler, shuffle-boss-6-1,
BoneCP-pool-watch-thread =====
[info] ScalaTest
[info] Run completed in 46 seconds, 676 milliseconds.
[info] Total number of tests run: 1
[info] Suites: completed 1, aborted 0
[info] Tests: succeeded 1, failed 0, canceled 0, ignored 0, pending 0
[info] All tests passed.