Ok there were issues in the past with the ORC table read through Spark.

If the ORC table is created through Spark I believe it will work

Do a test. Create the ORC table through Spark first.

Then do insert overwrite into that table through Hive cli from your Hive
created ORC table and see if you can access data in the new table through
Spark.

HTH

   view my Linkedin profile

such loss, damage or destruction.