It’s time for our quarterly report to the ASF board, which we need to send out
this Wednesday. I wrote the draft below based on community activity — let me
know if you’d like to add or change anything:

======================================

Apache Spark is a fast and general engine for large-scale data processing. It
offers high-level APIs in Java, Scala, Python, R and SQL as well as a rich set
of libraries including stream processing, machine learning, and graph analytics.

Issues for the board:

- None

Project status:

- We made a number of maintenance releases in the past three months. We
released Apache Spark 3.1.2 and 3.0.3 in June as maintenance releases for the
3.x branches. We also released Apache Spark 2.4.8 on May 17 as a bug fix
release for the Spark 2.x line. This may be the last release on 2.x unless
major new bugs are found.

- We added three PMC members: Liang-Chi Hsieh, Kousuke Saruta and Takeshi
Yamamuro.

- We are working on Spark 3.2.0 as our next release, with a release candidate
likely to come soon. Spark 3.2 includes a new Pandas API for Apache Spark based
on the Koalas project, a RocksDB state store for Structured Streaming, native
support for session windows, error message standardization, and significant
improvements to Spark SQL, such as the use of adaptive query execution by
default.

Trademarks:

- No changes since the last report.

Latest releases:

- Spark 3.1.2 was released on June 23rd, 2021.
- Spark 3.0.3 was released on June 1st, 2021.
- Spark 2.4.8 was released on May 17th, 2021.

Committers and PMC:

- The latest committers were added on March 11th, 2021 (Atilla Zsolt Piros,
Gabor Somogyi, Kent Yao, Maciej Szymkiewicz, Max Gekk, and Yi Wu).
- The latest PMC member was added on June 20th, 2021 (Kousuke Saruta).