Hi all,

I’d like to start a vote for SPIP: Row-level operations in Data Source V2.

The proposal is to add support for executing row-level operations
such as DELETE, UPDATE, MERGE for v2 tables (SPARK-35801). The
execution should be the same across data sources and the best way to do
that is to implement it in Spark.

Right now, Spark can only parse and to some extent analyze DELETE, UPDATE,
MERGE commands. Data sources that support row-level changes have to build
custom Spark extensions to execute such statements. The goal of this effort
is to come up with a flexible and easy-to-use API that will work across
data sources.

Please also refer to:

   - Previous discussion in dev mailing list: [DISCUSS] SPIP:
Row-level operations in Data Source V2
   <https://lists.apache.org/thread/kd8qohrk5h3qx8d6y4lhrm67vnn8p6bv>

   - JIRA: SPARK-35801 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-35801>
   - PR for handling DELETE statements:
<https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/33008>

   - Design doc
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/12Ywmc47j3l2WF4anG5vL4qlrhT2OKigb7_EbIKhxg60/>

Please vote on the SPIP for the next 72 hours:

[ ] +1: Accept the proposal as an official SPIP
[ ] +0
[ ] -1: I don’t think this is a good idea because …