The proposed feature is to be able to pass options through SQL like you
would when using the DataFrameReader API, so it would work for all sources
that support read options. Read options are part of the DSv2 API, there
just isn’t a way to pass options when using SQL. The PR also has a
non-Iceberg example, which is being able to customize some JDBC source
behaviors per query (e.g., fetchSize), rather than globally in the table’s
options.

The proposed syntax is odd, but I think that's an artifact of Spark
introducing read options that aren't a normal part of SQL. Seems reasonable
to me to pass them through a hint.

--
Ryan Blue
Tabular