Hi all, I'm thinking about trying to implement the ability to write spark
UDFs using javascript.

For the use case I have in mind, a lot of the code is already written in
javascript and so it would be very convenient to be able to call this
directly from spark.

I wanted to post here first before I start digging into the UDF code to see
if anyone has attempted this already or if people have thoughts on it. I
couldn't find anything in the Jira. I'd be especially appreciative of any
pointers towards relevant sections of the code to get started!

My rough plan is to do something similar to how python UDFs work (as I
understand them). I.e. call out to a javascript process, potentially just
something in GraalJs for example: https://github.com/oracle/graaljs.

I understand that there's probably a long discussion to be had here with
regards to making this part of Spark core, but I wanted to start that
discussion. :)

Best,
Matt