Hi Mich,

If repeated discussions indicate anything, it is that there is no consensus among maintainers regarding using Slack as an *official* communication channel. So which members and whose democracy are w talking about? I don't recall any vote... Oh, and when did we become a democracy anyway? :)

All the concerns raised across preceding discussions seem valid and were not properly addressed.  One could add a few more (from privacy to long-term sustainability, not to mention other projects failures), but it is pointless if there is no agreement about what has been already discussed.  Additionally, I recall at least a few Spark-related communities (Slack, gitter) that emerged over the last 10 years or so and proved to be not so resilient after all.

That being said, it is perfectly OK to have unofficial channels that can reduce the need for support from the contributors. At this point, the project is mature and has quite stable API and solutions to common problems are well documented. At the same time, users are more likely to encounter problems with platforms vendor's distributions and our lists are not the  and our lists are not the place to provide support for this anyway. If sparkcommunitytalk can become such a place (and save us further discussions on the topic) that's great, but please let's not confuse it with the official channel, especially when its current activity doesn't justify claims of its de facto legitimacy.