+0

A PMC member raised a justified concern regarding the Apache Spark trademark usage. Based on the linked discussion on @legal, that opinion seems to be weakly supported by the ASF Legal Affairs Assistant V.P.

As such, it shouldn't just be rejected, especially not because of our preference for discussion to be held in private or because it doesn't address a general case. In fact, given the special role that the alleged violator has in the project community (and a low potential for harm), we might prefer it to be public to avoid accusations of bias and conflicts of interest, although it is worth pointing out that it goes against an explicit ASF policy (https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/reporting.html):

However, in the case of any trademark, license, or contract violation, it is important not only to establish that there is a legal basis for action but also to document the actual harm that it causes.  For trademark violations, we're cornered primarily with customer (user) harm, and it hasn't been shown here or in the other thread that such a risk exists.

That being said, PMC asking a company to clearly indicate a modified version of the software is a soft action considering the alternative (passing the case to the ASF branding), which we are required to use in case a polite request fails.