It’s time to send our project’s quarterly report to the ASF board on Wednesday
November 8th. Here’s what I wrote as a draft; let me know any suggested changes.

=============================

Issues for the board:

- None

Project status:

- We released Apache Spark 3.5 on September 15, a feature release with over
1300 patches. This release introduced more scenarios with general availability
for Spark Connect, like Scala and Go client, distributed training and inference
support, and enhancement of compatibility for Structured streaming. It also
introduced new PySpark and SQL functionality, including the SQL IDENTIFIER
clause, named argument support for SQL function calls, SQL function support for
HyperLogLog approximate aggregations, and Python user-defined table functions;
simplified distributed training with DeepSpeed; introduced watermark
propagation among operators; and added the dropDuplicatesWithinWatermark
operation in Structured Streaming.
- We made a patch release, Spark 3.3.3, on August 21, 2023.
- Apache Spark 4.0.0-SNAPSHOT is now ready for Java 21. [SPARK-43831]
- The vote on "Updating documentation hosted for EOL and maintenance releases"
has passed.
- The vote on the Spark Project Improvement Proposals (SPIPs) for "State Data
Source - Reader" has passed.
- The PMC has voted to add two new PMC members, Yuanjian Li and Yikun Jiang,
and one new committer, Jiaan Geng, to the project.

Trademarks:

- No changes since the last report.

Latest releases:

- Spark 3.5.0 was released on September 13, 2023
- Spark 3.3.3 was released on August 21, 2023
- Spark 3.4.1 was released on June 23, 2023

Committers and PMC:

- The latest committer was added on Oct 2nd, 2023 (Jiaan Geng).
- The latest PMC members were added on Oct 2nd, 2023 (Yuanjian Li and Yikun
Jiang).