Hi dev,

I would like to start a discussion on "Structured Streaming - Arbitrary
State API v2". This proposal aims to address a bunch of limitations we see
today using mapGroupsWithState/flatMapGroupsWithState operator. The
detailed set of limitations is described in the SPIP doc.

We propose to support various features such as multiple state variables
(flexible data modeling), composite types, enhanced timer functionality,
support for chaining operators after new operator, handling initial state
along with state data source, schema evolution etc This will allow users to
write more powerful streaming state management logic primarily used in
operational use-cases. Other built-in stateful operators could also benefit
from such changes in the future.

JIRA: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-45939
SPIP:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QtC5qd4WQEia9kl1Qv74WE0TiXYy3x6zeTykygwPWig/edit?usp=sharing
Design Doc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QjZmNZ-fHBeeCYKninySDIoOEWfX6EmqXs2lK097u9o/edit?usp=sharing

cc - @Jungtaek Lim <kabhwan.opensou...@gmail.com>  who has graciously
agreed to be the shepherd for this project

Looking forward to your feedback !

Thanks,
Anish