From: Reynold Xin [mailto:r...@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 8:34 AM
To: dev@spark.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: issue regarding akka, protobuf and Hadoop version

I chatted with Matt Massie about this, and here are some options:

1. Use dependency injection in google-guice to make Akka use one version of
protobuf, and YARN use the other version.

2. Look into OSGi to accomplish the same goal.

3. Rewrite the messaging part of Spark to use a simple, custom RPC library
instead of Akka. We are really only using a very simple subset of Akka
features, and we can probably implement a simple RPC library tailored for Spark
quickly. We should only do this as the last resort.

4. Talk to Akka guys and hope they can make a maintenance release of Akka that
supports protobuf 2.5.

None of these are ideal, but we'd have to pick one. It would be great if you
have other suggestions.