At 11:31 AM +0200 4/13/04, Sergio Ramazzina wrote:
Hi to everybody

I've tried to build Struts using Maven but I had the following error message:

 __  __
|  \/  |__ _Apache__ ___
| |\/| / _` \ V / -_) ' \  ~ intelligent projects ~
|_|  |_\__,_|\_/\___|_||_|  v. 1.0-rc1-SNAPSHOT

Attempting to download commons-validator-1.1.2-dev.jar.
WARNING: Failed to download commons-validator-1.1.2-dev.jar.
The build cannot continue because of the following unsatisfied dependency:

commons-validator-1.1.2-dev.jar (try downloading from
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/validator/)

Sergio, the immediate problem is simply that that version of commons-validator is not available from the iBiblio repository (because it's a dev version). There are a variety of solutions to the problem, but since Validator has cut a 1.1.2 release, I think the best solution would be for us to get a copy of that release on IBiblio and to change the dependency in Struts' project.xml. This would be a necessary step to cutting a Struts 1.2.1 release, which should happen RSN anyway.

Apache now has a mirroring arrangement with IBiblio: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.commons.devel/39462

I will gladly do a build from the VALIDATOR_1_1_2 tag and place it in /www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/commons-validator/jars/ and then change the dependency in Struts' project.xml -- or I'll defer to anyone else.

I'd also like to find a way to publish non-release builds in a way that we can keep Struts building from Maven. Later in the commons-dev thread cited above, in http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.commons.devel/39469, Mark D. suggested an Apache-only repository for nightly builds (not mirrored to iBiblio) but it looks like that hasn't been implemented. I still think it's a good idea. Did it get rejected, or just stalled? If we were to do something like that, I think we'd want to use a time-stamped versioning scheme instead of simply "*-dev" -- we could simply use the results of a "maven jar:install-snapshot" build, which produces a JAR with a date/time stamp. But first we have to figure out if there will be an Apache repository for nightly builds.

Joe
--
Joe Germuska [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://blog.germuska.com "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining."
-- Jef Raskin