OK, here's a revised idea. James H had a post (http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.struts.devel/18248) where he mentioned a few popular Struts projects. Please note that none of these have been officially invited to be part of Struts, and some may not want to be part of Struts... This is just to help flesh out the exercise.

I'm not sure how we settled on the "opt-*" convention, but my feeling is that it will get annoyingly wide at the top of the module, so this proposes changing "opt" to a directory. I agree with Martin that we may want better names to distinguish between "taglib" and "el", especially if we were to introduce other taglib-ish things (like Struts Menu). But for now -- (a) does anyone hate "opt" as a directory, or really think it needs to be part of another directory name (do we need "opt-*/...") and (b) do people have strong feelings about an opt directory having a subdirectory like "view". Should "view" be parallel to "opt"?

struts/
struts/core
struts/apps
struts/site
struts/opt/view/taglib
struts/opt/view/el
struts/opt/view/menu
struts/opt/view/stxx
struts/opt/faces
struts/opt/testcase
struts/opt/workflow
struts/opt/bsf

Regarding a place for non-taglib JSP stuff, I'm not sure how that would look, so I'm not sure how to propose handling it.

Joe

> My understanding was that we had settled on a single module,
"struts", under which we would have something like below (mostly
> lifted from an email from Ted to the [EMAIL PROTECTED] list)

 > struts/
 > struts/core
 > struts/apps
 > struts/site
 > struts/opt-taglib
 > struts/opt-el
 > struts/opt-faces

 etc.

 But I'm not married to that.  I think a single module is easier for a
 lot of reasons, and you can partition the space within the module as
 much as you want so that I don't think you need parallel modules.  I
 don't have a strong opinion about how the module is partitioned.  One
 of the things I need to experiment with is whether it works to have a
 "site" directory alongside other directories when you go to build the
 site with Maven.  I'm not sure if that'll work or not.

+1 for a single module. We'll need to be disciplined, I think, so that we don't lump a lot of "common" stuff into the top level, but we can work that out.

Regarding the particular structure noted above, I do have a couple of issues
that I noted before on this list, mostly related to view technologies.

* I would like to see the core be independent of servlets, portlets, and
especially JSP. The above structure has nowhere to put code that is JSP
specific, but not related to taglibs.

* While I understand the intent behind opt-taglib, I feel it is misnamed,
since opt-el is also a set of taglibs, and opt-faces includes a taglib as
well.

* As we move forward, I believe the general concensus is to deprecate (in
some sense of the word) the tags that have effectively been supplanted by
JSTL. We might want to think about how to separate "legacy" tags from those
that retain their utility and are tied to Struts. (The idea of moving the
tags out of Struts entirely has been suggested somewhere along the line, but
I have concerns about Jakarta Taglibs being somewhat of a SourceForge for
taglibs these days, so I'm not sure where I would land on that one.)

--
Joe Germuska [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://blog.germuska.com "In fact, when I die, if I don't hear 'A Love Supreme,' I'll turn back; I'll know I'm in the wrong place."
- Carlos Santana