On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 15:22:38 -0700, Martin Cooper wrote:
> That said, I would really like to see us all stick together for as
> long as possible, and not diverge into 1.x and 2.x paths too soon,
> simply because I don't think there is enough energy here to sustain
> two parallel version of Struts.

Apache teams have had that discussion before. In practice, parallel development
creates more energy. People don't work on open source just because it is there. They
do it because they have an itch to scratch. People are running out of 1.x itches. A
2.x codebase is not going to "steal" hours from 1.x. The hours people would put into
2.x are not being put into 1.x now.

So, I do want to encourage people to diverge into 2.x, since there is not enough
energy to sustain 1. x alone :)

This is not to say that 1.x would go dormant. I'm sure there are things people still
want to there, and I'll continue to apply patches to fix whatever problems people find.

> And what I'm saying is that I don't see a reason to make the
> provision (i.e. create /v1) until we know we need it, because it
> would be just as easy to create then as now.

As easy to create on the server, but there'll be a lot of churn on the client. Better
to get it over with now and give the project room to grow.