And just to be clear... I have no idea if SiteMesh is
already capable of this type thing.  From what I saw it was Filter
focused.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

No, I'm pretty sure you're right there. You make some interesting points. It seems like it would be hard to get SiteMesh involved in decorating JSPs in any way but using filters, given some of the specifics of how JSPs are implemented, but I can't think of any reason you couldn't process HTML generated by Velocity or XSLT through a SiteMesh type process without being bound to Servlet Filters.

A little poking around on the SiteMesh site turned up a link to "Static Mesh" for offline application of SiteMesh properties: http://www.pols.co.uk/downloads/static-mesh/ That might give some clues...

Joe
--
Joe Germuska [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://blog.germuska.com "In fact, when I die, if I don't hear 'A Love Supreme,' I'll turn back; I'll know I'm in the wrong place."