How about if we follow the HTTPD protocol but replace the term

"Alpha Release"

with

"Alpha Build"

and then refer to a "distribution" when we could be talking about a "Alpha Build" or
"Beta Release" or "GA Release".

* http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html

And, yes, I would agree that there should be one release protocol for the project,
which all subprojects, including the core, would follow.

-Ted.