On 8/11/05, Michael Rasmussen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Craig,
>   I know this issue came up about a year ago that struts-faces
> wouldn't compile against the latest version of Struts (I think it was
> a validator issue).  It makes sense to me that it should always work
> with the latest version of Struts.  I think it would serve the project
> well to cut a *.0 release of struts-faces and give it a 1.1-1.2.x
> compatability...after that put it into maintenence mode.  Then cut a
> new *.0 release that brings struts-faces up to date with struts
> core...
>
> I haven't been following faces too closely lately...has it gone to 1.x
> yet?  If so, maybe this Struts dependency change to 1.2.x should
> denote a v 2.0?
>
> I totally understand that the target audience for struts-faces is the
> developer trying to migrate a struts app off of struts to jsf.  I have
> a hard time (and sort of balked at struts-faces because of it)
> commiting to a path that may force me to run my app on struts 1.2.x
> and 1.3 in paralell if I decide later that JSF just won't get it done
> for me.  Basically I just mean that I am forced to limit my options if
> I use struts-faces, and I thought the spirit of the library was to
> increase my options.

The Maven-generated build script has been getting tweaked lately, and
does indeed impose a Struts 1.2 dependency.  I'll have to take a look
at that -- but there seem to have been some incompatible changes in
the underlying utility classes that is going to make supporting both
1.1 and 1.2 "interesting" -- let alone supporting 1.3 as well.

NB - the nightly builds are compiled against 1.2.6 at the moment.

  http://cvs.apache.org/builds/struts/nightly/struts-faces/

> My $0.02
>
> Michael

Craig