Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Struts Wiki" for change
notification.

The following page has been changed by JasonCarreira:
http://wiki.apache.org/struts/RoughSpots

      * [Gabe] I've created an XWork JIRA for a solution to the same use case
here. [http://jira.opensymphony.com/browse/XW-387] I'd be happy to contribute
the code.

    1. Allow paths in action names. For example `<action
name="reports/myreport">`.
+     * [jcarreira] Why do you want this? Isn't this part of the namespace of
the action?

    1. Enable Java package import in configuration so you don't have to repeat
the same package name over and over (like WW1 does).
+     * [jcarreira] +1 if it can be made sane... It can get confusing. It also
makes tool support worse (i.e. IDEA can find it as a fully qualified class name)

    1. The ajax support is pitiful. Have a look at how stripes does it. Ajax
for validation is trivial and not that impressive, but people are going to want
to do real ajax work, and webwork does absolutely nothing to help in that
regard. I'd like to for example be able to easily invoke actions and get at
some kind of result to display, and have webwork provide at least some of the
wiring
+     * [jcarreira] Well, that's a relatively simple usecase, and I think it IS
supported... at least we use it at work?

    1. The default theme for the ui tags should be simple. The current stuff is
too dumb to get right on the first go, which gives an awful impression. It's
NOT intuitive to write: {{{
  <ww:textfield label="Enter blah" />
  }}}
+     * [jcarreira] That depends on whether you're using the form tag or not,
but agreed... the XHTML theme should be cleaned up and made the default.

    1. File upload should support progress notification. Have a look at
webwork-multipart on java.net, it's based on the pell parser but has a progress
API.
+     * [jcarreira] We've implemented this at work with WebWork fileupload +
DWR + a class that looks at the file as it's uploading to see how big it is on
disk

    1. Better error checking for UI tags. The freemarker error message, while
great for freemarker users, look like gibberish. People should not be forced to
learn freemarker. So in such cases, the tags themselves should check the
parameters and report back sane messages, even if that check is duplicated in
the templates

    1. Defaults should be JSP all the way. People know it and like it, despite
all the limitations. Allow for other view technologies, but don't force people
to learn stuff they don't want to. Learning ww is enough of a pain as it is

    1. Get rid of the validation framework. it's stupid and pointless, validate
methods are good enough.
+     * [jcarreira] -1 I take offense at this... It's neither stupid NOR
pointless, and we use it extensively. It's the best validation framework I've
seen out there, and NO, validate methods are NOT enough. For instance, we
define reusable validations for our domain models and use them for both the web
front end as well as web services and batch imports.

    1. Ditch xwork as a separate project, nobody uses it or cares about it
+     * [jcarreira] You're kidding, right? We've discussed this already....

    1. Add java5 support to ognl. It's silly that it still doesn't handle enums
(that I know of).
+     * [jcarreira] +1 this is biting us right now

    1. Clean up documentation. Focus on quality not quantity.
+     * [jcarreira] Didn't you read the book? ;-)

  == Patrick's issues ==

@@ -187, +196 @@

       * [jcarreira] +1 : Carlos at G**gle had some good ideas for this...
basically stuff like if your action method is foo() then you'd have
prepareFoo() and validateFoo(), but then I added that the prepare() and
validate() methods should be the defaults that we call for all action methods.
       * [crazybob] Interesting idea. Might be overkill (i.e. at that point,
the user should probably create another action class).
       * [hani] No magic method names. If you want to do that, use annotations
so you have a good chance of IDE support dealing with it. For example
@Validate/@Prepare etc, with parameters to indicate what request you'd like it
involved for, in the case where you need multiples of them
+     * [jcarreira] I think RoR has shown that convention over configuration is
liked by lots of people... these should be straightforward to figure out
without annotations.
+
    1. Don't encourage lots of interceptor stacks. Ideally the normal user
should never need to deal with them. It is better to have a larger stack that
has optional features that could be turned on through annotations or marker
interfaces than to encourage users to build their own stacks.

       * [jcarreira] I think we should have some pre-defined ones for standard
things: view vs. CRUD vs. "action" -> do somthing that's not CRUD. We should
then use annotations to make it where you can declaratively associate a
particular action method with a "stereotype" which is mapped to an interceptor
stack, etc.