On 5/21/06, Kito D. Mann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Congrats, Don! I'm very encouraged, and I'm anxious to check it out. This
will allow SAF2 developers to work with JSF components (and the market is
growing nicely).

I wonder how well Shale will run in this context...

Don and I had a chance to chat about this idea last week at JavaOne (glad to
see the phase listener strategy worked out so well :-).  You'll want to look
at SAF2+JSF for cases where you've got a primarily action controller driven
application architecture, but where you want to use some really cool JSF
components here and there on your pages -- without *having* to convert the
entire page to use components.  You'll be able to do that, without throwing
away all the rest of your architecture (but you won't be leveraging anything
in JSF other than the components).

If you're building an app around the JSF controller (perhaps because you
like the JSF approach to navigation, or its lifecycle), on the other hand,
you'd be better off starting with JSF+Shale.  Just to make things a bit more
interesting, several of the Struts committers got together and talked about
how we can share common stuff between the two frameworks ... and some ideas
that are already on the Shale roadmap[1][2] involve support for XWork
interceptors in addition to (and probably ultimately preferred to) using
Commons Chain to decorate the overall request lifecycle.  This will likely
end up being fairly similar to what Don did in terms of being able to
customize each phase individually.  I'll have more detailed comments when
I've had a chance to dig in a little deeper.

Craig

[1] http://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/SHALE-108
[2] http://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/SHALE-136