From: Ted Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Struts Developers List <dev@struts.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, 26 August, 2006 8:35:31 AM
Subject: Re: [VOTE] Retain the "!" idiom but disable it by default

On 8/25/06, Don Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What were you meaning by removing the deprecation?

Deprecation means that we may remove the behavior in favor of a
preferred alternative. That's very different from making the behavior
switchable. Right now, we don't have a preferred alternative, so it
was wrong to ever refer to the behavior as "deprecated" in the first
place.

The original notion was that wildcards could be a dropin replacement
for hardwiring the "!" syntax, and in my experience, we are already
98% there, but it's hard to test wilcard replacements with the
hardwired code switched on, since the special-casde code hijacks the
processing of any action name with an embedded "!".

The builtin, hardwired, non-configurable behavior It is also arguably
a security flaw, and since we already have code that can switch it
off, there is no reason not to provide the switch, even if the default
is to enable the behavior.