On Oct 6, 2006, at 2:27 AM, Antonio Petrelli wrote:

Greg Reddin ha scritto:
Here's what I envision for the controller: I don't think it would really be used to change the destination of the response. I don't see the controller as being analogous to a Struts action even though it could be used in that way. If I wanted the controller to be used as a "controller" in the MVC sense of the word (IOW to select a destination) I'd want it to return something like actions do in Struts, WebWork, and JSF. I've always used the controller like a JSP tag. I use it to implement code that needs to reside in the view layer (or code that needs to be called from the view layer) and as a way to keep from writing scriptlet code in my JSPs.

Uh I see, I think it's time to resurrect controllers (I think it's needed only in the TLD). Now what about their name?

I think we still want to support it in the DTD for the <definition> tag. When I've used controllers I've always declared them in the tiles-defs.xml file.

Possible names could be:
* Controller for the class (or maybe TilesController) - controllerClass and controllerUrl for tag attributes

Well, it's the controllerUrl I have the most trouble with. I don't have any problem with declaring a class to be executed to prepare the view. But an URL? An URL will always resolve to something - return a response - and I don't think these view preparers should return anything or resolve anything. They should simply be capable of manipulating the context - preparing the context for the view (IMHO).

* ViewPreparer (or TilesPreparer) for the class - preparerClass and preparerUrl and for the tag attribute (thanks Nathan!);

I think I like ViewPreparer the best.

Greg