> Could you go into detail why the cleanup filter needs to initialize the
> dispatcher?

Yup sure. :)

ActionContextCleanUp and FilterDispatcher both keeps a copy of Dispatcher, and
put them in thread local only if one doesn't exists yet. The order of filters
when using sitemesh would be

1] ActionContextCleanUp
2] Sitemesh Filter
3] Dispatcher Filter

This is such that ActionContextCleanUp when present, would have the Dispatcher
setup so Sitemesh will have access to Struts2 / WebWork internals.

Previously, the logics of setting up the dispatcher (the encoding stuff etc.)
are in both FilterDispatcher and ActionContextCleanUp, the AbstractFilter moves
those commons logics to itsef such that they are not repeated in both
FilterDispatcher and ActionContextCleanUp.

p/s hopefully i get the logics correct. ;)

rgds

Don Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Yeah, I did have to put the filters back
to their original state.  I
found the _dispatcher and dispatcher variables really confusing and I'm
not sure I understand the original usecase why the cleanup filter needs
to have a dispatcher instance at all.  Could you go into detail why the
cleanup filter needs to initialize the dispatcher?

Don