Here's a (possibly better) solution:

    <jsp-config>
      <jsp-property-group>
        <url-pattern>*.jsp</url-pattern>

<deferred-syntax-allowed-as-literal>true</deferred-syntax-allowed-as-literal>
      </jsp-property-group>
    </jsp-config>

Information found at
http://today.java.net/lpt/a/272#backwards-compatibility.

Caveats: you need a servlet 2.5 XSD at the top of your web.xml and it only
seems to work in Tomcat 6.0.13, not Jetty 6.1.5.

Matt