I don't know any ruby either - but I also never had to use any ruby when
dealing with Jekyll. Just like I never had to use any Java when dealing
with the current velocity site.

Being mainly a Java developer, I also have a preference towards a Java-based
system, but I also see benefit in using a widely used, well-known, and stable
system as opposed to something more obscure that might or might not be
maintained
and updated, that fewer people know and that I find less examples of on the web.

After all, we just want to have a website and not develop a site builder tool.

-- Richard