On 06/15/2016 03:46 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> I don't understand the technical reason for the 1st reboot. The
> substantial risk for updates is the user environment. If that's killed
> off even multi-user.target is far less risk to do updates in. But I
> don't see why system-update.target can't be isolated from
> graphical.target rather than mandating a reboot to get there.

I tried to cover this in an earlier post, but the first reboot is to protect
against things like "user temporarily mounted over /usr/lib/foo so updating the
foo package isn't actually modifying the persistent system" and "there's a
memory-leak bug in the kernel so 99% of system RAM is held by kernel space while
trying to update" or other unpredictable things that can happen according to
chaos theory when system as complex as a modern Fedora has been running for
days/weeks/months without a reboot. The first reboot puts the system into a
(mostly) known state, which is basically a band-aid around a thousand other
unpredictabilities.