Hi,

> > The metalinks already provide checksums and timestamps for the
> > metadata. So instead of dumbly going out and re-downloading the entire
> > metadata at hardcoded intervals, couldn't we rather just check if the
> > 'latest' metadata (according to the metalink) has changed since the
> > last time we ran, or something along those lines, and only actually
> > download the metadata if so? Wouldn't that save us a lot of wasted
> > metadata downloads?
>
> I suppose that's what is supposed to happen. And of course, now that I
> try to reproduce it, that is exactly what happens.
>
> I know I've seen it redownload the main repo occasionally but perhaps
> its just been bugs since fixed. Or then the main repo actually changed.
> But perhaps having bugs is the more likely explanation...

dnf seems to reload the complete metadata if you touch the repo file.
I see this happening after running fedrepos (to configure mirror and
proxy) on fresh installs.  Not that it bothers me much in that specific
case as it re-downloads the metadata from local squid cache.  But just
re-downloading repomd.xml surely should have been enough.

cheers,
  Gerd