On Thursday, January 5, 2017, Stephen Gallagher <sgall...@redhat.com> wrote:

> # Overview
>
> For many years, Fedora has supported multilib by carrying
> parallel-installable
> libraries in /usr/lib[64]. This was necessary for a very long time in
> order to
> support 32-bit applications running on a 64-bit deployment. However, in
> today's
> new container world, there is a whole new option.
>
> I'd like to propose that we consider moving away from our traditional
> approach
> to multilib in favor of recommending the use of a 32-bit container runtime
> when
> needed on a 64-bit host.
>

> ## Advantages
>
> * Simplification of build-tree creation. We wouldn't have to maintain the
> lists
> and hacks that are required to make sure that multilib packages land in the
> correct repositories.
>
> * Less duplication of content in the mirror networks.
>
> * It will be simpler to create module content without having to
> reimplement all
> the multilib hacks of above. This is directly relevant to the Base Runtime
> module, whose prototype is today intentionally limited to the primary
> architecture (no multilib).
>
> * Requires us to maintain and keep up-to-date the 32-bit container base
> images.
>

> ## Disadvantages
>
> * If we eliminate multilib entirely, all applications that use 32-bit libs
> will
> have to either install a 32-bit host OS or install into a container. This
> may be
> a difficult transition for some users.
>   * Mitigation: develop and maintain tools to ease this transition.
>
> * It is unlikely that any clean upgrade path would exist. (We could make it
> *technically* possible, but likely not without breaking 32-bit software not
> installed by RPM.
>
> * Requires us to maintain and keep up-to-date the 32-bit container base
> images.
> (Yes, this is both an advantage and disadvantage.)
>

> ## Open Questions (non-exhaustive):
>
> * Can SSSD and systemd's 32-bit name-service modules work from within a
> container, talking to their host's service? Without that, 32-bit containers
> won't be able to resolve users, groups or hostnames.
>
> * Can we have 32-bit containers communicate with other local system APIs
> such as
> D-BUS on the host?
>
> * Do we need to care about 32-bit GUI applications on a 64-bit system?
> Should we
> decide that flatpak is the official answer for such cases?

This proposal is more or less "let's make life a bit easier for us in
expense of our users". Your proposal shifts the hacks to the users.

There are still a lot of 32bit software out there.  In stead of having it
just work you are asking users to fiddle around with hacks / jumping
through hoops.

So your proposal would cause way more harm than good.