On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 10:45:54AM -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Björn 'besser82' Esser wrote:
>
> > Am 16.06.2017 um 22:52 schrieb Artur Iwicki:
> >> I took a shot at packaging the game and it went rather smoothly. The only
> >> issue I have is that the level packs don't really have a licence; the
> >> only copyright info is a line at the end of the readme, stating: "This
> >> package [...] may be distributed freely, as long as its contents are left
> >> intact and unmodified."
> >>
> >> Is that enough for Fedora, and if yes - what should the License tag for
> >> the package say?
> >
> > I'd apply the 'firmware guidelines' [1] here:
> >
> >  > The License tag for any firmware that disallows modification must be
> > set to: "Redistributable, no modification permitted"
>
> That licensing exception applies *only* to firmware, and I'm pretty sure the
> content in question here cannot be argued to be firmware (please correct me
> if I'm wrong).

The guidelines say (in the section about shareware, but I think that's just poor
editing, because there's nothing specific to shareware in the reasoning):

    However, it is worth noting that some non-executable content
    exists that is required to make Open Source applications
    functional. An example of this would be open sourced game engines,
    such as Doom, Heretic, and Descent. These game engines come with
    freely distributable [...] gamedata files.

    In this case, the gamedata files can be packaged and included in
    Fedora, as long as the files meet the requirements for binary
    firmware.

... and the requirements for firmware are: non-executable, not
libraries, standalone, "available under an acceptable firmware
license, which is included with the files in the packaging" and
"necessary for the functionality of open source code being included in
Fedora [...] where no other reliable and supported mechanisms
exist.". I think the game data satisfies those requirements.

It even says explicitly that "prohibitions on modification" are OK.

Zbyszek