On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 12:04, Christian Dersch wrote:
> On 07/12/2017 02:06 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> >> Considering that SSE2 was introduced by Intel in 2001 and AMD caught up
> >> with it in 2003, I'd be +1 (with my FESCo hat on) to requiring SSE2,
> >> regardless of whether the above change is accepted.
> > If you require SSE2, you limit the usefulness of the i686 kernel to
> > basically just a single generation of CPUs, the next generation introduced
> > x86_64.
> >
> Well, there is one very important CPU family which came some years
> later: Intel Atom. There are still many netbooks out there and the first
> Atom generations are 32 bit only afaik.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Atom

The 32 bit-only ones are:
Z5xx (April 2008)
Z6xx (May 2010)
N2xx (June 2008)

I still have my N270 netbook, but I guess even more people still have
Z6xx-based devices. Still, they're over 7 years old at this point.

Regards,
Dominik
RPMFusion http://rpmfusion.org
"Faith manages."