On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 7:09 AM, Hans de Goede <hdego...@redhat.com> wrote:

> If the kernel team wants some specific help with ia32 support then
> 2 things need to happen:
>
> 1) A clear request for help needs to be send
> 2) What exactly they need help with needs to be clearly defined

Has happened multiple times over two years.

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2015-February/208368.html

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/message/GSIXKLR5RP5OIF6XMDP2WWYOKD4Y5LFM/

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/message/NJF45R5WFYVDJQJILQEWU2I4ADRYMAFN/

I'm not sure how it could be more clear.

Of course, it could have been trolled better by someone, by wiping out
the original subject and substituting -- Fedora: "death to i686!" --

> Last as others have said, this is _clearly_ a systemwide change
> and the deadline for systemwide change proposals for F27 was July
> 4th, where as this page was created July 6th, moreover a change as
> big as this really needs to be discussed out in the open long before
> it gets implemented rather then hidden away in a Changes page.

I see it both ways. It is self-contained in that it's strictly the
kernel without affecting user space at all. But it's system-wide in
that it does affect the distribution, it's effectively dropping the
hardware support for an entire architecture. But anyway, dropping i686
kernel is not a surprise to me, this has been a rather long leadout
train.

--
Chris Murphy