On 18/07/17 14:55, Richard Hughes wrote:
On 18 July 2017 at 14:52, Tom Hughes <t...@compton.nu> wrote:
So what is the user experience of "updating" in this world? How does the
transition from one snapshot to the next occur?

Basically the same as now. Kalev added a gnome-software plugin that
downloads the new data, shows the OS update in gnome-software updates
panel and then you reboot, and it applies the update atomically. You
reboot, and you're in the new OS.

Any answer that ends in "then you reboot" has instantly failed ;-)

I know you want us to reboot on every update but in the real world nobody is doing that because it's insane.

If you really want us to do that then the thing to spend your time on is ways to preserve desktop state across reboots. And yes I know that is really, really hard which is why every attempt to do so has always been abandoned. Nobody wants to have to resetup their desktop every day though which is why we all just run dnf update and cope with the rare occasions when an app crashes and we have to restart it.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (t...@compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/