On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 12:36:34PM +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-22 at 04:25 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > i.e. the "enable"/"disable" commands makes some changes for the next
> > time they are looked at, and then adding --realize on top makes those
> > changes take effect immediately, i.e. so that the unit is start/stopped
> > according to those changes. We actually used "--start=" first (which
> > however is very confusing when you'd write "disable --start" to disable
> > something and then have it stop...) We then considered "--now", because
> > it is not a verb. But eventually we stuck with --realize. It's not
> > great, yes. But we couldnt think of anything better. Happy to take
> > suggestions. But no, --take-effect-immediately is not really an option.
>
> Why have two verbs in a command structure? isn't enable or disable the
> order, --now seems like it would be correct, the thing with English is
> its flexible about these sort of things.
>
> Also you have --realize=reload and --realize=minimal, again
> non-representative, minimal means reload if running, whereas reload
> means start if not running otherwise reload? I would expect reload means
> reload if running, otherwise do nothing, the other option would probably
> be better specified as reload,start.

I notice that the man page takes great pains to distinguish
enable/disable and start/stop (activate/deactivate). This makes sense --
the current commands separate into "chkconfig on/off" and "service
start/stop".

So why are the concepts being blurred here? There's already a systemctl
start/stop/... (as mentioned in the systemd-install description).

Maybe what you want is an --if-enabled option to systemctl
start/restart/...?